Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Teaching Music with Putumayo Kids




Every classroom needs music. I always had music playing when the students walk in every morning and while they did their morning warm ups. Even though my school had a music teacher once a week, my class learned about different types of music from different eras and cultures around the world through Putumayo Kids.  
I linked Putumaya Kids music to lessons we were learning in other curricular areas. For example, my 2nd graders were studying African myths in Language Arts and reading "How the Guinea Fowl got her Spots." For music time I used the Putumayo Kids "African Playground" CD and their online lesson plans for this particular CD. We discussed the instruments and how African music played a role in their culture. We learned African songs and made noise shakers for Music, made origami paper boats for Art, and studied the continent of Africa for History.




Parents and teachers need to go to Putumayokids.com, listen to the songs, read the lesson plans for each CD, and buy one of the many fabulous CDs they have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment