Friday, September 10, 2010

Being Emergency Prepared

School Children being evacuated during WWII


September is National Preparedness Month. This is the one time of year that I even think of the what ifs.

What if there is an earthquake? What would I do? Where would I be when it happens? How would I handle myself? How would I get in touch with my husband, family, or friends?
What if our house sets on fire while we are sleeping?
What if a Tsunami threatens our neighborhood?
What if....
What if....
What if....

Now that I'm not a classroom teacher the stress I feel is alleviated. If there was to be a disaster while school was in session I'd be the sole comfort and control in those little kid's minds. I knew that practicing our emergency drills once a week would never pan out as planned in a real emergency.
It's also this time of year that your family should come up with a plan. Answer all those "what ifs" as a family. Draw out an escape route in case of a emergency in your home. Discuss with your child what you will do if something happens and you are away from her/him/them. A great way to give your child comfort if there is an emergency and they are in school is to have a letter and picture from you put into your child's school emergency kit.

Here are some fun links for kids to learn and play games about emergency preparedness:

preschoolers- Let's Get Ready! Sesame Street (find the videos on the right)
Kinders-6th graders- FEMA For Kids
Know what 2 do kids! (They have fun printable activities)
Discovery Education

No comments:

Post a Comment